The Township of Hanover Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Probationary Police Officer. We are also hiring crossing guards, please see information on crossing guards BELOW the police officer qualifications.
Applicants MUST meet the following qualifications:
· Possess a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in any field of study OR an Associates Degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice, or Forensic Science AND
· Be currently enrolled or recently graduated from a Police Academy Alternate Route Program OR possess two or more years’ experience as a full time police officer in New Jersey ONLY .
Degrees must be from an accredited college or university and be recognized by the American Council on Education as listed in the Accredited Institutions of Post-Secondary Education.
Applicants must also meet the following minimum requirements:
· Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
· Must be a resident of the State of New Jersey.
· Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License at the time of appointment.
· Must not be less than 18 year of age or more than 35 years of age, at the time of appointment. In accordance with NJ statutes, age exemptions for military service and prior law enforcement service may be granted to meet the maximum age standards.
· Must pass a comprehensive background investigation
· Must demonstrate proficiency in writing and basic computer skills.
· Must be physically capable of meeting the required firearms qualifications mandated by the Attorney General Guidelines.
· Must be psychologically fit to perform all duties of a police officer.
· Must meet the requirements set forth in the job description for police officer.
· No obligation under NJSA 40A:14-178
· Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language well.
· Be of good moral character.
· Candidates must be available to work any schedule, shift, or assignment as ordered by the Chief of Police or his designee.
Successful candidates will be given conditional offers of employment and then must pass a urinalysis as well as a comprehensive medical and psychological examination.
Applications can be picked up at the Township of Hanover Police Department, located at 1000 Route 10, Whippany, NJ, 07981 or via the police department’s website (Hanoverpolice.com) or policeapp.com. A complete list of qualifications is attached to the application packet. Application MUST include a copy of your PTC Certificate, resume and driver’s license. Applications MUST be delivered in person or by mail to: Township of Hanover Police Department, 1000 Route 10, Whippany, NJ 07981 Attn: Captain Dave White by 3pm on Friday April 13th 2018.
The Township is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Crossing guards assist children in crossing the street on their way to and from school. Crossing guards provide safe crossings of the roadways and model appropriate street skills and behavior for children. They do this by:
• Choosing good times to step into the street to create gaps in traffic
• Standing in the roadway with STOP paddle continuously raised to shoulder height to show that pedestrians are using the crosswalk. Stands for X amount of time.
• Verbally directing children across the street
• Recognizing and communicating potentially dangerous traffic situations and hazards in the environment
• Fulfilling job requirements outdoors in all weather, including rain, fog, snow, sleet, cold, heat, humidity, and wind
Education, Training and Experience Required:
• Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent. Or Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Must be a U.S. citizen and a New Jersey resident.
• Must successfully pass a thorough criminal history and background check.
• Valid Driver’s License may be required.
Training and equipment will be provided:
• Must successfully pass 2 hours of classroom training and 20 hours on the job training.
• Must successfully pass a six month probation period.