Crossing guards assist children in crossing the street on their way to and from school. Crossing guards provide safe crossings of the roadways and model appropriate street skills and behavior for children. They do this by:
• Choosing good times to step into the street to create gaps in traffic
• Standing in the roadway with STOP paddle continuously raised to shoulder height to show that pedestrians are using the crosswalk. Stands for X amount of time.
• Verbally directing children across the street
• Recognizing and communicating potentially dangerous traffic situations and hazards in the environment
• Fulfilling job requirements outdoors in all weather, including rain, fog, snow, sleet, cold, heat, humidity, and wind
Education, Training and Experience Required:
• Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent. Or Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Must be a U.S. citizen and a New Jersey resident.
• Must successfully pass a thorough criminal history and background check.
• Valid Driver’s License may be required.
Training and equipment will be provided:
• Must successfully pass 2 hours of classroom training and 20 hours on the job training.
• Must successfully pass a six month probation period.