The Township of Hanover Police Department is currently hiring SPECIAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS - CLASS III.
The township of Hanover Police Department is seeking qualified and professional applicants for the position of Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer for the 2018-2019 school year who possess our Core Values of Respect, Fairness, and Sensitivity. This position will be primarily responsible for security and safety duties in the Township's K-8 School District. Additional responsibilities may include instructing students and staff members on safety or security related topics. The Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer is an employee of the Township of Hanover Police Department and is under the supervision of the Chief of Police and/or his/her designee. This will be a part-time position, approximately 35 hours per week, with a pay rate of $30.00 per hour.
- Must be a retired police officer less than 65 years of age who has previously served as a duly qualified, fully trained, full-time officer in any municipality or county of this state, or as a member of the New Jersey State Police, and must be residing in New Jersey.
- Must be retired from that agency in good standing (necessary to have a letter of good standing issued by the agency from which the officer retired, listing the date and type of retirement. A copy will be submitted to the PTC.)
- Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver's License.
- Must pass a psychological exam.
- Must pass a medical exam and have the doctor complete the Medical Certification Form (Form PTC 8A).
- Must pass a Drug Test pursuant to the Attorney General's Law Enforcement Drug Testing Policy.
- Must have an updated background investigation.
- Limited break in service: Break in service may not exceed three years prior to appointment to this position.
- Possess a NJ Police Training Commission Basic Police Officer Certification or NJ State Police Academy Certification.
- Applicants must submit a resume and completed HTPD Application (which can be downloaded below). Applicants must also complete the Medical Certification Form included in the SLEO Required Documents Download below.
SLEO Required Documents
Applications will be accepted through the end of the business day on
June 1, 2018.
Hanover Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Crossing guards assist children in crossing the street on their way to and from school. Crossing guards provide safe crossings of the roadways and model appropriate street skills and behavior for children. They do this by:
• Choosing good times to step into the street to create gaps in traffic
• Standing in the roadway with STOP paddle continuously raised to shoulder height to show that pedestrians are using the crosswalk. Stands for X amount of time.
• Verbally directing children across the street
• Recognizing and communicating potentially dangerous traffic situations and hazards in the environment
• Fulfilling job requirements outdoors in all weather, including rain, fog, snow, sleet, cold, heat, humidity, and wind
Education, Training and Experience Required:
• Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent. Or Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Must be a U.S. citizen and a New Jersey resident.
• Must successfully pass a thorough criminal history and background check.
• Valid Driver’s License may be required.
Training and equipment will be provided:
• Must successfully pass 2 hours of classroom training and 20 hours on the job training.
• Must successfully pass a six month probation period.